The Black Keys Return with New Album 'Delta Kream'
The 11-track effort arrives in May
Published Apr 13, 2021Nearly two years removed from "Let's Rock," the Black Keys have detailed a blues-inspired follow-up. The duo will release their 10th studio LP Delta Kream on May 14 through Easy Eye Sound/Nonesuch.
News of Delta Kream arrives through the band's Lonely Boys & Girls fan club, which excited fans have since shared widely online. The announcement notes that pre-orders for the album officially begin on April 15.
The 11-song covers set is said to honour the "music of Mississippi hill country blues, R.L. Burnside & Junior Kimbrough, among others who have influenced the Black Keys."
Delta Kream features songs written by those two figures, in addition to covers of songs credited to John Lee Hooker and Bernard Besman, Fred McDowell, Ranie Burnette and Joseph Lee Williams. You can find its tracklist below, alongside the duo's cover of "Crawling Kingsnake."
As Dan Auerbach recalled of recording in a press release, "It was a very inspiring session with [drummer Patrick Carney] and me along with Kenny Brown and Eric Deaton in a circle, playing these songs. It felt so natural."
Carney added, "The session was planned only days in advance and nothing was rehearsed. We recorded the entire album in about 10 hours, over two afternoons, at the end of the 'Let's Rock' tour."
The Black Keys previously paid tribute to Junior Kimbrough on 2006 EP Chulahoma. Late last year, they treated 2010's Brothers to a 10th anniversary reissue.
1. Crawling Kingsnake (John Lee Hooker / Bernard Besman)
2. Louise (Fred McDowell)
3. Poor Boy A Long Way From Home (Robert Lee Burnside)
4. Stay All Night (David Kimbrough, Jr.)
5. Going Down South (Robert Lee Burnside)
6. Coal Black Mattie (Ranie Burnette)
7. Do the Romp (David Kimbrough, Jr.)
8. Sad Days, Lonely Nights (David Kimbrough, Jr.)
9. Walk with Me (David Kimbrough, Jr.)
10. Mellow Peaches (Joseph Lee Williams)
11. Come on and Go with Me (David Kimbrough, Jr.)